Friday, November 1, 2013

Paper Bag Scarecrow Craft

I love the kids' crafts where you can use what you have on hand.  I try to keep certain supplies on hand for just such crafts.  I had the opportunity to help watch a group of kiddos the other morning and needed a good fall craft for them.  Pinterest led me to this post and the Paper Bag Scarecrow, and, as it turned out, I had everything I needed in my supply.  They turned out adorable, and it was the perfect craft for a small group of kids to complete in about half an hour.

Supplies needed: paper bags, construction paper, raffia, googly eyes, crumpled-up newspaper (I used shredded paper from the shredder), markers, scissors, scissors, and glue.



Directions: crumple up newspaper and stuff the bag, leaving a few inches at the top.  Fold the top over a couple times and staple.  Lay some raffia across the top and staple that down as well.  The more imperfect, the better, in my opinion!  From there, the kids can glue down googly eyes and design the rest of the face: nose, cheeks, and mouth.  We drew the mouths in as if it was a row of stitches... or "railroad tracks," as we told the kids.  And they can design a hat as well.

I love how one kid used a googly eye for the nose, and how another wanted a trick-or-treat bag for his scarecrow.  Kids are the BEST artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment