Sunday, November 3, 2013

Peacock Tutu

I figure, the first few years, I get to pick out my kids' Halloween costumes.  Before they really get into all those commercial characters.  I sort of have this thing for peacocks, and so that's what Maggie (age 2) agreed to be for me this year. 


I'd seen peacock tutus on Pinterest before.  I found a beautiful example in a picture, but it didn't link to anything, so I was on my own with instructions. I picked up tulle in three shades of blue and green, then cut and tied it on one half of a hair elastic.


For the feathers, I cut out ovals of brown felt, which I stitched with yellow thread.  I then layered on teardrop shapes of foam green and jade, and then a pac-man shape of royal blue.  I hot-glued all the felt together and then sewed the brown oval onto a jade-colored ribbon.


After I tied the ribbons to the skirt, I used a little hot glue to attach the felt feathers onto the tulle.  This kept the feathers from migrating to the underside of the tutu... sort of.  I still had to walk around adjusting Maggie's tutu all night.  :-) 

View from the back.  I looked all over town for a royal blue shirt and finally found this one at JC Penney.  The puffy shoulders are perfect for the costume.  And Miss Maggie is a perfect peacock!

No comments:

Post a Comment