Friday, December 16, 2011

Cookies in a Jar

Hmmm... With Jack in preschool this year, it was the first time I had to come up with a teacher gift. I always loved the gifts my students and their parents gave me... and it truly WAS the thought that counted. I needed something both cute and practical. So, voila! I present to you Cookies in a Jar! I know, I know, it's nothing new to mankind, but it certainly was a new concept for me. We chose a Super Chocolate Cookies recipe and I sent my poor hubby out to three different stores to find 1-quart size jars. He grabbed the last set of jars at the last store; I guess my idea wasn't as novel as I'd originally thought! Jack helped me scoop the ingredients into the jars--it's a great gift idea for kids to help with. We cut some Christmas-y fabric to put over the top, tied it all with raffia, and attached the instructions. Sure hope they're good!


Recipe: Super Chocolate Cookies Mix (from my book Gifts in a Jar: Cookies, Brownies, and Bars)

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 c. candy-coated chocolate pieces
(The recipe also calls for 1/2 c. each raisins and peanuts, but I left these out because of possible allergies and dislikes.)
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Layer ingredients attractively in a 1-quart food storage jar with tight-fitting lid. Pack ingredients down slightly before adding another layer.
2. Cover top of jar with fabric; attach instructions/gift tag with raffia or ribbon.

Instructions to attach:

2/3 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 jar Super Chocolate Cookies Mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. (Mixture may appear curdled.) Add cookie mix to butter mixture; stir until well-blended.
3. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 11 to 12 minutes or until almost set. Let cookies stand on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment